Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Not sure where this is going to go.

I really have no idea where this post is going to take me, or you.  SO much stuff has happened in this past week.

As I have mentioned before, my middle kiddo has epilepsy.  We are HOPING that it is just going to be a childhood thing.  When I was a little tyke I had two seizures and was on medication for years.  When Nate has his second, we found out that apparently they run in my husbands side of the family.  So...the poor kids are screwed.  

Last Tuesday Nate had a sleep deprived EEG.  How it was suppose to work was he stayed up until Midnight, went to bed, woke up at 4am, and at 8am took the test and passed.

How it went was:   he stayed up until Midnight, went to bed, woke up at 4am, and at 8am took the test and failed.  So instead of getting to take him off the meds, we increase them.  

We found that out Wednesday.  While I was on  my way to the dentist.  To get a cleaning.

NO CAVITIES!

Thursday was ok.  I got to go to Nate's school and have a picnic in the classroom.  That was...interesting.  Just a whole bunch of kids and adults crammed into a small room.  Nate enjoyed it though.

Friday was my birthday.  My husband was on call and spent most of the day at the hospital.  Mom and Grandma came up. There was an Easter egg hunt for the community on Saturday morning and then Eric and I went out for a few hours.  WITHOUT KIDS.  It was quiet.

Nothing else thrilling happened until Tuesday....again with the Tuesdays.  Tuesday V had her follow up appointment for her neck.  She had surgery at 6 months old for a Brachial Cleft Cyst.  When they went in they found out it was a Thyroglossal Duct CystA few tiny scars turned into a scar from her chin down to her chest.  DO NOT GOOGLE.

Here is a brief description of what they are.
Brachial Cleft Cyst:  BASICALLY this is when your gills (for real) don't close properly when you are in the embryonic stage.  Evolution!!

Thyroglossal Duct Cyst:  The thyroid gland during the embryo's development forms next to the back portion of the tongue and gradually descends down to the lower neck where it remains through out life. Sometimes when the thyroid is moving downwards it leaves a tract or duct in its path that does not disappear and stays open. This duct is a blind-ended pouch that can fill with fluid (cyst)

V's was not gross or draining.  When she was born she had a hole and a skin tag.  That is what we saw.  She looked like she had a tracheotomy.   Nothing gross or leaky.  The hole was sealed off.

When they went in for the surgery they found out it was this and she had bunches of fibrous tissue they had to remove.  Therefore, the bigger scar.

We went for the yearly follow up and the surgeon said it was looking banded and he wants to "Z" the scar.  Basically take part of the scar and flip it sideways.  That way it sits flatter on her neck.  Now when she looks up it pulls.

I was thinking this was going to be the outcome, but I didn't want to admit it to myself.  The idea of getting it done AGAIN is scary.  They said we could wait until she was older, but I think it we do it now she won't remember it.  

UGH.  It sucks to be a mom sometimes.  So this post is all kinds of rambling, because that is my head right now.  Here and there and everywhere.



I have no idea how I almost forgot this.  I introduced the kids to Magic Shell!  I LOVE Magic Shell on Ice cream!  We had Sundays on Monday for the start of spring break.

 And I go this rad bowl for my birthday from my sister.  I love my noodle cup...bowl?





2 comments:

  1. Tuesday's do suck. As well as days in February with a 5 in it.

    ReplyDelete