Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Digging in the dirt with kids

When I was growing up there was NOTHING more awesome than driving up to the mountains, getting a bucket of dirt shoved full with gem stones, and uncovering them in the sluiceway. (Long wooden channel which water runs through)

We finally took the kids and I was STOKED.  We went to Hiddenite, NC which is about an hour from where we live.  For $5 each we got a "permit" and a bucket of dirt.  Luckily we went early and they didn't charge us for V.

 V was super prepared with 3 whistles with compasses embedded in them, a bell bracelet, and her shoes on the wrong feet.
 I absolutely ADORE pictures of my family walking.  No clue why.  But I find it adorable.
 Working the sluice-way, family style.
Basically how it goes is you get a bucket of dirt with stuff in it.  You put some of that dirt in the trays, shake it around in the water, and BOOM!  you find stones.  You can also use the brush to brush away the dirt.  V liked to clean the brush in the water.
 Scrub a dub dub.
 V lasted about 10 minutes then found my phone.
 Water flowing through a seive.
 Dirt in.

 Scrub scrub scrub.
 Shake shake shake.
 Nate's loot!  He got a bag full of the stones from his bucket as well as Eric's bucket. Then he lost it...  Literally.  He lost his bag.  I called the mine and none were turned in.  They remembered us being there and they are sending a box of stones just for Nate!  I had to mail them a postage paid box.  I am 99.9% sure it won't be AMAZING quality, but still.  The boy needs souvenirs and they didn't have to mail us anything, you know?  This makes them awesome in my eyes.
 Miss Stickyfingers stole mine.
 Incase you can't tell...Aidan HATED the experience.  ;)  He hated it SO much we had to do another bucket together.
 This picture of V breaks my heart.  She looks SO big running.  Where did my baby go?
 Aidan and I.  Eric did not inform me that my tank top was riding low...so....this is the only useable picture of just me and him.
 Aidan photobombed Nate.
 GOSH.  We had such a good time.  We drove one hour, to mine for one hour, to drive home another hour.  I would totally do it again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment