Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Scrap Busting Pin Cushion Tutorial!!!

With my business, BumbleFly~N~ButterBees, I go through a lot of different fabrics and have a TON of scrap.  Every time I throw something away, it kind of breaks my heart a bit.  So now...I have a bin full of scraps and no ideas as to what to do with them.  

You know another thing I have a lot of?  Straight pins.

So...the obvious thing to make was a pin cushion.  I am trying to redo my craft room and with doing so, I need storage solutions.  V likes to steal everything I own basically and her favorite thing lately is my buttons.  OR as she likes to think of them, tiny mini Frisbees.

When I thought about how to combine the two, I came up with this:
 Now.  I am not going to lie.  Pinterest did play a part in my thought process.  You know what I didn't like on theirs?  The type of glue they used.  Hot glue is fine and dandy, I even use some on this, but at the same time...hot glue can peel off.  So if I was going to go to all the trouble of making this...I wanted it to stay together.

So...what you need, minus the E-6000 and spray paint because like always I forgot to put everything in the picture:
 Supplies:
  • Mason Jars-jar and lid and ring.  All three parts.
  • Scissors
  • E-6000
  • Felt
  • Spray Paint
  • Hot glue gun with hot glue
  • a bit of polyfil (about a handful)
  • fabric of your choice
  • parchment paper
 First things first.  You want to head outside with your ring for the top of the jar, the parchment paper, and your spray paint.  I used my Valspar Paint and Primer that I used on V's fan makeover.  The cool thing about using the parchment paper is that the paint will not seep through AND the ring won't stick to it. 
 I spray painted the lid with two light coats just to get a good coverage on it.  Try NOT to get the paint on the inside, because it will make twisting the top on later a bit tricky.  It won't be IMPOSSIBLE, but you will have to twist it on and off a few times to get the paint off.  (Happened to me.)


Once it was semi-dry I did quickly move it to a clean sheet of paper to fully dry.  While it wasn't sticking, I didn't want to take any chances.


While the ring is drying you need to cut your fabric.  I forgot to take a picture of this step.  So...imagination is required.

Take your piece of fabric and lay it right side down and then place the lid on top centering it over where you would want the center of your print.  Now...take a marker and put little dots all around the lid-about an inch off of it.  Make sense?  

You want lid edge-inch of material-dot.  Keep doing this around the entire lid and connect the dots.  When the dots are connected you should have a circle that is larger than your lid by an inch on all sides.   Cut it out. (and not like Uncle Joey on Full House.)

Go ahead and start heating up your hot glue gun at this point.

For this next step, I used another jar ring of the same size as the one I spray painted.  I am not very patient and wanted to keep working.

Put the jar ring face down on a table.  Then place your fabric circle centered over the ring.  On top of this, place the polyfil.


 Now.  You need to press the fabric and polyfil THROUGH the opening in the ring.


 Once it is through, take your lid and place it inside OVER the polyfil.  You want to make sure ALL the polyfil is under the lid.  Scissors come in handy in the step.  If it is sticking out GENTLY push the polyfil in with the scissor tips.


 Turn it over and now it should look like this.


Inspect it for weird lumps.  If it has any, just tug the material on the underside a bit to get it smoothed out.

Once you are satisfied with how it looks, get your hot glue gun and lay a small line of glue right around the edge.  Press the material down onto it.  Hot glue dries FAST that is why I did it in small sections.  Be careful.  Hot glue is hot.  Don't get too much or it can squish out when you are pressing and you can burn yourself.


Once it is all glued down it is time for the E-600.   I actually went back through with my hotglue gun and glued down those folds of material.  You want it as smooth as you can get it before this next step.



Take the poof out of the ring.  If you have it in the ring you intend to keep it in, you can leave it in there.  E-6000 is VERY strong.  You don't want to accidently glue it into the wrong ring.

Grab your felt and cut out a circle that is close to the size of the base of the poof.

Squirt some E-6000 over the material and place the felt on top.  It WILL take a while to dry.  This glue dries pretty slowly, so you will want to go back every now and then and make sure the felt is pressed down nicely onto the fabric.


Once you are sure the felt it dry, take your dry ring and place a thin line of glue around the inside of the ring.  Carefully take the poof and slide it into the ring.  Press the two together.  This is another place that other bloggers have used hot glue.  You COULD but as I said, hot glue isn't NEARLY as strong of a bond and it dries fast.  With the E-6000 you don't have to worry about how slowly you slide the poof into the ring.  You have time.

Again.  Let it dry for a while.  Routinely go over and press them together.

Once dry, screw the lid on the jar and there you go!  You have storage, a pin cushion, and you just used up some of those pesky scraps!

I love my sushi print material.

No comments:

Post a Comment