Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Glittery Pumpkin and Skull DIY

I LOVE Halloween.  I love everything about it.  Candy, dressing up, scary movies.  I think my favorite thing has to be decorating though.

I LOVE to get my craft on at Halloween time. I mean, when else is it socially acceptable and ENCOURAGED to decorate with snakes, skulls, and spiders?

I posted a picture the other day of a craft I was working on and my friend informed me that she needed a tutorial.  So Kelly, this is for you.  

My process varied a bit on each one.  So here is a comprehensive list of all supplies needed to make each item. I have a pictures of each item with the supplies used on each coming up later.

Supplies:
  • Paper Mache decorations (These can be found a various craft stores.)
  • Mod Podge
  • Glitter (I used super fine)
  • non-toxic acrylic paints in your choice of colors
  • foam brush 
  • normal paint brush
  • Krylon Glitter Blast Spray in your choice of colors

 I like to shop after holidays...a lot.  I picked these up I THINK last year at JoAnn's. I was at ACMoore yesterday and saw them there. You can basically find them anywhere.  I had to stop myself from buying a witch hat yesterday.  


Last year when I bought these I had the boys (Eric and the boys) paint the skulls on the right with nontoxic paint.  I just let them have at it.  Since it is paper, I had them cover the entire outside.  I really like how you can see the newsprint inside the heads.  I think they turned out rather cool!


For the skull on the left I used:
  • Mod Podge (matte)
  • Apple Barrel Black Nontoxic acrylic paint
  • Ultra Fine Premium Glitter- Black
  • Skull

I first painted the skull with the black paint and let it dry. Even though I am covering it with glitter, I knew it wouldn't give a total coverage.I didn't want brown to peek through.

Once dry get your foam brush and cover it in Mod Podge.  You will want a pretty even layer, so it won't get chunky in places. 


This next step...I apologize to all that have glitter phobias.  

Grab a cookie sheet and cover it in parchment paper.  Put the skull on it and pour glitter all over. Pick it up and make sure to get all the sides. 


Move the skull over and pick up the paper and kind of fold it and pour the remaining glitter back in the container.  Let the skull dry.
 

 Don't want to deal with glitter and glue?  This gave a nice coverage as well. 

For the next skull you need:
  • Skull
  • Nontoxic paint of your choice  (I used Folk Art-Parisian Pink)
  • Krylon Glitter Blast spray. (I used Posh Pink)

I made this one before I decided to make the tutorial.  

How I did it.  I painted the skull pink and let it dry. Then I just spray the skull!  The end!

I am not sure if you HAVE to paint first, but I did. I didn't want to risk non covered spots. Once sprayed you can't really paint over it without ruining the finish.  Better safe than sorry!

Oh...speaking of which.  You might want to use gloves...unless you like your hands smelling like gasoline and having a glittery hand.  Also, spray OUTSIDE.  Glitter flys EVERYWHERE.
 

 For the tall orange pumpkin I used the same process as the pink skull. 

The paint is My Studio - Orange
The spray paint is Krylon Glitter Blast in Orange Burst.


The short fat pumpkin I also did before I decided to write this.  It had a few more steps.

Supplies used:
  • Krylon Glitter Blast Spray in Orange Burst
  • Pumpkin
  • Mod Podge
  • My Studio in Orange
  • Ultra Fine Glitter in Orange

I first painted the pumpkin in orange and let it dry.  I wanted to be "fancy and just paint around the top a bit with the glue and glitter.  I took the foam brush and just brush down the pumpkin a bit with glue and sprinkled on glitter and let it dry.

Once dry though, I decided it needed MORE sparkle, so I sprayed it.  I really like how this one turned out.  I like the double glitter.  I think it adds a bit to the texture of it.

I painted down the "cracks" in the pumpkin with the glue, so they are over accented with glitter.  It looks more 3D if that makes sense. It just pops more.
 

 There you go!  I hope you loved my tutorial!  I have more crafts in mind for the next couple of weeks!!  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment