Monday, October 28, 2013

Punkin' carving and seed eating!

The kids have been getting on us about decorating for Halloween.  We have stuff INSIDE, I am just too lazy to do outside. (Read lazy as too busy)

So this weekend we finally got our pumpkins and carved them. I hate carving too early, then they just get gross and rot.  So we got them on Sunday....added bonus....they were on sale!  YAY procrastination!

I fell asleep on the couch and woke up as Eric was hacking away at the tops. He got the tops off and then got called in. I ended up stepping in and I think I did pretty good!


Five points if you can figure out what V's is!

So...I had three things of pumpkin guts. The only logical thing to do was to roast the seeds.

The first annoying part is separating the seeds FROM the guts.

I found an "easy" way to do this.  Put the guts in a LARGE bowl and add water.


Now.   Swish around the guts and smoosh them down to the bottom. LIke magic...they release from the goo.
 

Magically scoop up your seeds!
 

Now you have a big ball of pumpkin goo. There might be a FEW seeds in it, but nothing dramatic.
 

Into the compost bin you go!
 

I didn't take pictures of the next few steps.  IMAGINATION TIME!

I took all the seeds and rinsed them off in a colander.   Threw them in a pot with water and a pinch of salt and got it boiling.  Reduced heat to medium and simmered for about 10 minutes.

Drain, pat off with a towel, and spread on baking sheets.

With three pumpkins that ends up being a LOT of seeds.  So I decided to split mine into two pans.  One pan I wanted to make a bit spicy and one garlicky.

For the spicy I used French Grey Sea Salt (just because really. no special reason WHY I picked that other than I saw it first in the pantry) and then I used some hot oil.


I made some pasta once with some oil that had pepper flakes in it and it was super good. So I made extra. This gives is a BIT of a kick, but nothing obnoxious.


I poured MAYBE a tablespoon on oil on the seeds and rubbed it in.  Just eyeball it.  You want it coated, but not drowning in it. Then sprinkle on some salt. I use a heavy hand with salt. I am a salty girl.


For the other pan I used just plain EVOO and garlic salt.  Same deal.  Pour, massage, sprinkle.
 

Pop these bad boys in the oven at 325F for 10 minutes.  Take them out. Shake up the pans. Put them back in for 10 more minutes.    At this point you need to check for doneness.  I put one pan back in for another 5 minutes. They pans I used kind of sat on each other a bit.  One pan didn't look as "crunchy".

Here ya go!  Garlic on the left, spicy on the right!


(most of these are now G-O-N-E)

2 comments:

  1. That is definitely a princess sofia crown and pendant! =] Awesome job on the pumpkins! I LOVE me some pumpkin seeds! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!! You got it! V said "I want a Princess Sophia pumpkin." I had to figure out how to do it on the fly.

      Delete