Friday, November 15, 2013

Slowcooker Chicken recipe, aka this post will make me your new best friend.

When I was pregnant with V, I had gestational diabetes.  This meant that I had diabetes due to being pregnant.  ONLY pregnant people get this kind.  Fortunately I was one of the lucky ones that could control it with diet and exercise.  (well...diet.  I didn't exercise. That is another post.)

Anyway, I ran across this recipe on All Recipes and it sounded great.  The idea of using my oven for that long was not appealing though.   I don't like leaving the house with the oven on.  So I turned it into a slow cooker recipe and tweaked it a bit to make it my own.  I also ALWAYS forgot to let it sit in the fridge over night. I find it is fine without it.
 
FYI. This recipe is INSANELY good and incredibly messy when finished.  If bones in food gross you out it is NOT for you.  The chicken will literally fall apart when you try to take it out of the slow cooker.  I typically end up with three bowls next to the pot when I am taking it out.  One for veggies, one for chicken, and one for bones and skin.  I have never tried it with boneless/skinless chicken.  If you try it, let me know!

Hope you enjoy it!

Ingredients:
  • 1 whole chicken. average size that you would buy for your family
  • 1 tablespoon Kosher Salt
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 2 teaspoons crushed black pepper (I grind my own)
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
  •  3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • a few sprigs of fresh thyme
  • 3 onions
  • a bunch of carrots (I eyeball it.  You want to cover the bottom of the slow cooker and make a base with carrots and onions)
Directions :
1.  Mix together the seasonings (salt, paprika, onion powder, black pepper, cayenne 
     pepper, and garlic salt) in a small bowl and set aside.  I like to use the Snack Cups  
     from Tupperware. They are the perfect size for mixing seasoning in! 


2.  Peel and quarter the onions. Throw them in the slow cooker.  FYI.  I have an 8 quart
      cooker.  I prefer to use liners, but I ran out.  I will be hating life tonight. Use a 
      liner if you have one!
3.  Wash and peel the carrots.  I just picked these from the garden.  Most are rather 
      small.  If you have larger carrots, you might want to cut them a bit. I typically
     don't due to laziness.  Also, they will get soft, so don't cut too small!  
4.  Throw them in the slow cooker with the onions.  Mix them around a bit.

(Yep, those are all carrots with the onions. They are kaleidoscope carrots.)
5.  On top of this place the chicken.  Grab your seasoning that is mixed together in the 
     cup and start sprinkling it on the chicken. You want to get it all over the top and
     bottom.  Try to cover it all over and sprinkle some in the cavity. 
6.  Place the thyme on top of the chicken.
 

7.  Place the lid on the top and turn it on high.  I set mine for 6 hours. Walk away!  See 
     see you in 6 hours or so!  Do NOT open the lid to peek.  It will smell incredibly good,
     but they say every time you do that you have to add about 15 minutes of cook time.
     
8.  Six hours later come back and open it up!  I don't find cooked chicken pretty.  I took 
     the picture so you could see the juice that formed. Not sure if it is from the chicken,
     the onion, or all of the above. All I can say is that this chicken is super juicy and
     yummy now.
 



9. Grab your three bowls and get separating!  Everything kind of gets a brownish hue 
    from the juices.  I am guessing that comes from the spices, but it is SOOO good. The
    onions melt in your mouth, the carrots are rather tender.  They don't get "mushy", but
    if you cut them too small they will. The larger ones were perfect!

DELISH!  Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment