Thursday, November 7, 2013

Zingo! Sight Words Review

The boys are HUGE board game fans. I am a fan of learning!  We just had parent/teacher conferences this past week and I learned that Mr. Nate is the HIGHEST placed reader in his class!  Amazing, huh?

I want to keep him that way so when I can, we try to learn. When I was younger I MIGHT have had a Bingo obsession (read this as I owned my own Bingo game complete with the big round ball that dropped out the numbers).  When I ran across this game, I might have done a wiggle dance in my chair.

http://www.thinkfun.com/zingosightwords

 Zingo! Sight Words is an interactive word game that helps the players learn, recognize, and read sight words.  If your kids aren't in Kindergarten yet, sight words are where it is at.  These are the basic fundamental words that all kids need to know.  Sight words end up making up about 50-75% of all written material.  So, if you haven't experienced them yet with your kiddos, be prepared.

Since the game is about sight words it is geared to kids in Pre-K to first grade.  Aidan is in second and still loved playing.



In the box you get this:


• 1 Zingo! Zinger (that red thing that dispenses the tiles)
• 72 Word Tiles
• 6 Double-sided Zingo! Cards
• Instructions and Learning Guide


There are two sides to the cards.  There is a green side and a red side. The red side they say is more competitive. I am guessing there are more cards with similar words/placement.  We played the green.


 I really loved the graphics on the cards.  They are very eye catching and colorful.

When I read that it came with tiles, I was a bit nervous. When I saw them though I breathed a sigh of relief.  They are plastic. I was so scared they would be cardboard and get torn up. Cardboard and kids don't always mix well.


 To play Zingo! Sight Words you decide which side of the board you want to play and everyone chooses their own board.  You MUST play the same colored side.

I decided to be the referee and Zinger controller.  I saw that the boys had some of the same words on their playing board.  Nate does NOT read as fast as Aidan and having an ADHD kid lose all the time would not be fun.  Since this is a game primarily for him, I wanted him to have a fair shot.  It suppose to be, first to grab the tile gets it.  Yeah...no

So these are the rules I made up.

In the event that Nate and Aidan each have the same word that comes up, they play rock-paper-scissors to see who gets the tile.    

What if one kid has both words on the tiles and the other just has the one shared one?  I figured that out to.

Look at the image below.

Let's imagine that Aidan has both of the words "went" and "and".  Nate just has "and". In this case Nate would get the "and" tile and Aidan gets the "went". They both decided that was fair.  I really love having kids that understand fairness.

If one child had both words on the tiles and the other had neither word, the kiddo with both words got both tiles.

It got to be very heated during the games. Some of them were super close....

Magically in the end BOTH boys won one time.  I decided to stop at that point for the day.  It was an awesome day.


So if you are looking for an awesome game to help with reading while having fun Zingo! Sight Words might be right up your alley.

The game retails for $19.99 and you can go over HERE to learn more and order your own copy!

I received this game in exchange for my review. All opinions are my own though.

No comments:

Post a Comment