Tuesday, December 17, 2013

I am not a giftcard giver.

At Christmas time I LOVE finding the perfect gift.  One thing that drives me bonkers is when you say "What do you want for Christmas?  Any ideas?" and you get this reply "A giftcard."  All my dad EVER wants is a giftcard to Lowe's.  I guess that is what happens when you get older.  You don't need stuff. Well, at least that is what he says.

So I sucked it up and bought him one.  I mean, it IS what he said he wanted. I think what kills me about it, is on Christmas he gets a card.  Where is the fun in that?  

BEHOLD!!!!  I figured out how to wrap giftcards for home improvement stores and it is AWESOME.

First, gather the supplies. You need:
giftcard
quart size paint can    ($2.97)
paint can key (If you ever painted a room in your life, I assume you have 50 of these)
Stuff to throw in the can (small enough to fit in the can)
twine or ribbon
rubber mallet or hammer to close the can (I used the mallet so I wouldn't ding up the can)

Grab all your stuff and throw it in. The guy at Lowe's asked if I was finding everything ok. I said I had no clue what I was looking for and told him what I was doing.  He thought it sounded pretty cool.  He suggested picture hangers.  He said everyone is always hanging up pictures.  That might have just been suggested since he was standing there though.  

Either way.  I got a thing of picture hangers and nails.  Shove it all inside.


Grab your can and place it on the floor and put the lid on.  Hit the edges of the lid until fully closed.

Tie some ribbon, or some twine, to the paint key.  BAM.  Finished wrapping.  Added bonus, whomever you give this to now HAS to physically open it.  This is much better than a duct taped box!

What do you think?  Cute, huh?

3 comments:

  1. such a good idea! I had no idea you could buy a paint can with nothing on it, great info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought some years ago to keep random screws and stuff inside. YOu can find these in the paint section at Lowe's. They are with the plastic buckets.

      Delete