Monday, April 7, 2014

You know what isn't fun?

Strep.  Strep is not fun at all.  Last week I was feeling rather rough and forced myself to head to the Target Clinic. I freaking LOVE it there. So much easier to get in there than my regular doctor and only about 5 minutes away!

So I head over there and get swabbed. Fact about me: I choked on a piece of Mac & Cheese when I was little (I was sucking it up through a straw, of course) and ever since then I am terrified of choking.  So me and strep swabs don't mesh.  I LITERALLY cried when trying to decide whether or not I wanted it done.  I sucked it up, got swabbed, and not even the full 5 minutes later it came back positive. CRAP.

Wednesday I made Eric stay home and I was in bed the entire day.  I wanted to stay as far away from the kids as I could, since I was contagious.  I also had zero desire to move.  It didn't help.

Thursday I came back halfway from the land of the dead and Eric went to work.  V said there was "A ladybug in her ear" and was freaking out. She is TERRIFIED of ladybugs. She has actually woken up in the middle of the night in a panic that one was in her bed. We head to the doctor and there are NO ladybugs, no ear infection, no fever, NOTHING.  Her throat is a touch red so they take a swab and the quick strep comes back negative.

She spent most of the day passed out on and off on the couch.  When she woke up later in the day she was keeping her head turned to the right and kind of tucked to her shoulder. She also was zoned out.  I started to get a bit worried.  I didn't get really worried until it was still like that the next morning on top of her not wanting to walk-anywhere.  I had to pick her up to get her anywhere.  She wasn't wanting to walk anywhere.  Her chin was resting on her right shoulder and she was not moving it.  I called the doctor and we went over right after school drop off.

The nurse saw us and started freaking out a bit which made me freak out.  I mean, stiff neck...I am totally thinking meningitis.  

The doctor came in and said "So, how long has she has torticollis?"  To which I replied "Say what?" She then started telling me all about some fun ailment you can get where your neck is stiff.  There are many different causes and apparently swollen lymph nodes is one of them. No meningitis.  The long strep test still had no results so the doctor decided to put her on antibiotics anyway.  

Let me tell you something.  Giving a rabid cat an enema would be easier than giving V her meds.  I started out with cherry flavored chewable pills because she would NOT take liquid ibuprofen at the doctor the day before.  V did not want to chew the pills.   I tried bribery.  She had five halves. I promised a quarter a piece. NOPE.  I called it candy.  NOPE.  I printed off a Dora reward chart.  Take your meds V and get a doll when I it full! Nope. Well, kind of nope. She wants the doll, just not the meds.

So I called in and they prescribed some liquid.  It was bubblegum flavored. I remember that stuff FONDLY. I LOVED it as a kid. I would lick the spoon.  V on the other hand, nope.  First we tried to give her a bit at a time and let her swallow it.  NOPE.   Then we tried all at once....double nope. Now we GENTLY wrap her in a towel to hold her arms and legs down and shoot it in her mouth and jam a straw from her sippy cup full of apple juice into her mouth. Oh,and she has to get a smiley face on her chart.

The doctor called Sunday and the strep test for her was positive, so that explains her crappy mood.  The torticollis on the other hand, is a horse of a different color.  She isn't as tucked now and is moving it a bit,but not great. I use to work at a salon and one of the massage therapist actually gave her a mini massage yesterday and worked it out a bit. Man, I have awesome friends. :)  According to everything I have read, the condition can take 1-4 weeks to get rid of.  I hope it is sooner than later.  Poor V is stiff as a board. At least it isn't turned down now. Her head is held up looking straight, she just doesn't want to move it more than an inch or two.

So, you know, totally normal week this past week in my house. lol  How about you?  Any fun things going on?

*FYI, I am TOTALLY not a doctor or have medical experience. PLEASE take your kiddo to the doctor if you think something is wrong. I did. Including my trip, I went THREE times last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment