Friday, May 23, 2014

Have you ever been just reading something on Facebook and it smacked you like a ton of bricks?

Yesterday I was just scrolling through Facebook when a post I shared got liked.The person who liked it was a friend of mine that I met through someone else.  We really don't talk. It is more of a "Hey!  We know the same person,so let's be Facebook friends" kind of friendship.

Naturally I did what any other person would do, I went to her wall and started scoping out things.  Just for funsies.  It was at this point that I ran across this video.  Now, I know what you are thinking "Sarah!!!  It is almost 7 minutes long! GAH!!!  I can't watch that!"  Yes you can. Just watch it, then we will chat.

 

Did you watch it? Good.

My heart hurts SO hard for this girl.  She has just a few other video and 2 are Jem related. The girl really loves her Jem.  

What struck me so hard though is that I probably will never know what she is going through.  Being a white girl, living in America, in the suburbs, with my little pale kids, I will never fully know the kind of discrimination that others face.  The way the character is portrayed in this movie did not EVEN cross my mind.

It hurts me so much that she feels this way.  There is so much sadness and hurt not only in the video, but also in the comments.  Being the person I am and living the hand that I was dealt in life, I really feel  almost guilty for not having to face things that others do.  I think I take my place in the world for granted sometimes, and I totally shouldn't. This video was a real eye opener for me.

I wish I could find this girl and hug her.

2 comments:

  1. Sadly, whitewashing in the media is still a big issue when it comes to the media. Having several family members and friends who actually work in the entertainment industries and for some of these movie production companies, I can say that casting does sometimes go for a lighter actor/actress because they will appeal more to the masses. And at the end of the day, for a studio that's investing $10-30 million in a film, that's important because they want to not only make their money back but they also want to make a profit.

    I don't think that we can solely hold casting and media responsible for this because ultimately we are the ones who get to choose what we support. If we truly want whitewashing to end, then we have to let our dollars do the talking and really prove that we won't stand for this kind of mistreatment. Also, we do need to be prepared to face the fact that there will be cases in which a lighter actor/actress will be a better fit talent-wise for a character that we have known as being dark skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand what you are saying. It does make sense. I guess what saddened me, was that I had no idea that this was going on really. It never occurred to me that it was happening. Her pain was so intense. :(

      Delete