Thursday, June 19, 2014

Pimsleur Spanish One Review

Disclosure: This is a sponsored post.

When I was in high school I took Spanish for a semester.  Then I took French for two years.

In college, I took Latin for a year.  I transferred colleges and their Latin class was MUCH more advanced, so I dropped.  THEN I found out I couldn't just sign up for entry level French since I took it in high school. I knew I was no where close to where I needed to be for college level, so, I took German.

Needless to say I have been around the block when it comes to language taking.  Want to know what I can say in each language?

In French:  "I am a cheese omelet."  AND the ever useful "I eat hamsters." These phrases are actually known due to my Drama teacher in high school. She taught me those.  OH! I can also say "What is your name?" and "How are you?"  I only remember those because of a cheer my teacher taught me.

In Latin: nothing. I mean, it is a dead language.

German:  "That is my beer." "Can I have a beer?"  "I have a hangover."  What can I say?  It was college. 

As you can see, I am not one to shy away from languages, BUT I am also one who doesn't retain much info.

Spanish, on the other hand, I am learning thanks to the Pimsleur Spanish 1 CD set.

Pimsleur Spanish 1 is a course on CD. When I received it and opened the box I felt "special".  That sounds a bit lame doesn't it?  but I did.  It is REALLY nicely packaged.

 The box itself looks like a book.  This totally fits i\onto a bookshelf. When I took Italian, which I just remembered I took for a semester in college, the course came with TAPES. Yes, cassette tapes.  The tapes were in this hard plastic shell thing.  This is much nicer and sleeker.
 Each course comes with 16 cd's.   Each "class" is about 30 minutes long.
 The entire philosophy of this system is 100% audio based learning.  No reading, no writing, no memorization.   You listen to a conversation, they break it down for for, they say it, and you repeat it.  They encourage repeating the "lesson" until you can get most of the questions correct. I have to admit I had to do the first a few times.

I really enjoy how you learn actual usable information.  You can memorize tenses all day long, but I think I remember the phrases that I did because they were actual usable phrases.  Well, as useable as "I eat hamsters" is in French.   It has a real cool ring to it.

I also love the portability of it.  I MIGHT drive down the road learning Spanish and I MIGHT make my kids recite and learn as well while filming them.  (Phone set up BEFORE driving. I wasn't fiddling while driving down the road.)



 There actually is no "making" them do it. The boys get in the car "I want to learn Spanish!  Can you start the CD?"  They have some ESL kids in their class. I think this helps up the cool factor for them. 

Overall , I am super happy with the CD and will be using it to increase my Spanish speaking skills in the weeks to come!  I have a huge car trip in a few months.  Maybe I will be ready for more CD's at that point!

  I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment