Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Morton Salt Girl celebrates her 100th birthday! (and I flop at a party)

Have you ever tried SOOOO hard to get something to come together and then you fail miserably?  That was me.  I failed.

I was offered the opportunity to host a party in honor of the Morton Salt girl turning 100.  That is a pretty big accomplishment!  She looks great for 100!  I was SO excited because the party was supposed to be held while I was visiting some amazing women up north.  Well guess what, that trip got cancelled. The women are still amazing, it was cancelled on my end.  Since I am heading to Missouri in a couple of weeks, I financially couldn't swing both trips.

THEN I was going to host it with my friend, and we got ready.  She baked some amazing cookies using specially made M&M's for the party.  She made oatmeal cookies with them.  The kids LOVED them.  Know what happened?  I lost the camera card.  Seriously.  I LOST ALL PICTURES.  This is huge.  I am a photo taking nut.  I used a smaller camera card for the party, so I would have more room on my card for my Atlanta trip.  Hopefully one day I will find it. 

So, since I lost my images to share, I will give you some interesting trivia for Morton Salt and a recipe straight from Morton Salt themselves!

Q:  Was the Morton Salt Girl modeled after a real person?
A: No, Although many people see resemblances to loved ones!

Q: Does the Morton Salt Girl have an official age?
A: In some of Morton Salt's historical documents, she has been referred to as America's favorite 8-year-old.

Q: Did Morton Salt come up with the saying "When It Rains It Pours"?
A:Yes. Over a century ago.  Morton was looking to market a new product, a salt that would flow freely even in damp weather, which was an innovation at the time. Morton decided to run a series of ads in Good Housekeeping magazine promoting its new product.  An ad was developed featuring the Morton Salt Girl and the following copy: "Even in rainy weather, it flows freely."  This was shortened to "When It Rains It Pours" and the now famous slogan was born!"

Q:  Is table salt the company's main product offering?
A: No, but it is certainly the most iconic product in Morton Salt's portfolio! 

Interesting,huh? I had no clue that they came up with that saying.  

For recipes, Morton Salt gave us so many great ideas.  Out of all of them, I think this one MIGHT just be the best one.  I mean, who doesn't like cookies?

Salted Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies  (Recipe compliments of Morton Salt, Inc.)
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon (1/2 for dough, and 1/2 to sprinkle ontop) Morton All-Purpose Natural Sea Salt
  • 3 cups instant oats
  • 1cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
  2. Cream butter, brown sugar, and white sugar in mixer on medium speed until smooth. About 3 minutes.
  3. Beat in one egg at a time until combined. Add vanilla.
  4. In a separate mixing bowl,whisk flour, baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and then add to butter and egg mixture and mix until combined.
  5. Fold in oats and chocolate chips into entire mix with a wooden spoon until combined.
  6. Drop dough by rounded tablespoons onto parchment-lined baking sheet two inches apart.
  7. Use the last 1/2 teaspoon of salt to sprinkle a pinch of salt onto the top of each cookie.
  8. Bake for about 12-15 minutes.
  9. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before transfering to a cooling rack.
Enjoy!

I was given the opportunity to host a Morton Salt party through Mom Select and Morton Salt.  All opinions are my own.  Losing of the camera card is on my head as well.  Darn it.

No comments:

Post a Comment