Monday, September 21, 2015

The Best Banana Bread in the world. Seriously. It is.

I have this recipe on my long since forgotten food blog.  I have neglected it for two years at this point.  I do go back over and over for certain recipes though.  This would be one.
  
It is by far the BEST banana bread I have ever made.   The original recipe I wrote, down below, calls for blueberries.  I have used those, I have replaced with chocolate chips, I have left out the additional item all together and just went straight up banana.  ALL GOOD.  My kids don't eat nuts, but if you like nuts, throw those bad boys in place of the blueberries!

 INGREDIENTS:

  • 4 ripe bananas, smashed (smash, but leave some lumps)
  • 1/3 cup melted butter (I usually use unsalted, Eric bought salted.  I used that)
  • 3/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • pinch of salt, about 1/4 teaspoon or so
  • 1/2 cup blueberries, fresh and rinsed-OPTIONAL (If you use frozen berries, thawed it would work as well.  You just run the risk of purple-ish bread, chocolate chips, nuts, etc.)
  • 1 1/2 cups bread flour (I grabbed this instead of all-purpose out of the pantry, you could use all purpose if that is what you have)

 DIRECTIONS:


  1. Heat oven to 350F
  2. Mix together mashed bananas and the melted butter.
  3. Stir in the brown sugar, egg, and the vanilla.
  4. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the banana mixture and mix in.
  5. Stir in the rinsed blueberries.
  6. CAREFULLY stir in the flour.  
(You don't want to over stir this.  If you do, you risk popping the blueberries as well as getting a hard loaf of bread.  You want to mix it JUST enough to include everything, but not so much to lose the chunks of blueberries and bananas.)
    
    7.  Butter and sugar a loaf pan.  Yes...butter and sugar. You will thank me. Mine was 
          4x8.  It was a nonstick pan, but I didn't want to risk anything. 
    8.  Pour batter into the pan.  The batter is THICK.  I had to use a rubber spatula to get
         it all in there.
    9.  Put the pan in the oven and set the timer for an hour.  Start checking around 50 
         minutes.  You want to cook it until you put a toothpick in the center and it comes
         out clean.
   10.  Once cooked, place the entire thing on a wire rack and let cook for 15 minutes.
   11.  After 15 minutes, remove from pan and try not to eat it all right then.

Enjoy!


 

2 comments:

  1. Oh yum! I have plenty of old bananas in the freezer and was thinking I needed to make some banana bread. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Let me know what you think!

      Delete