Friday, December 4, 2015

The Peyton Heart Project

Back in October I was up in Mt. Airy, NC for the Autumn Leaves Festival.  I have a booth up there every year for my business.  This year I walked into the community building and saw this brightly colored heart with a tag just sitting there next to the ATM.  There were some people standing there, I figured it was theirs.  I went to the restroom, came out, and it was still there minus  the people.  I picked it up and looked at it. It had a little tag that read "Take me!  You make the world a beautiful place. #PeytonHeartProject"
After being outside for numerous days in a tent, that was a much needed note.  I grabbed it, walked back to my tent, and pulled out my phone to look up the tag.  I never realized how much a little heart meant.

The Peyton Heart Project was started because of a little 13 year old boy named Peyton James.

Peyton was a child that got bullied for years at school and couldn't handle it anymore and ended up taking his life in 2014.  He was only 13.  THIRTEEN.  My oldest right now is 9 1/2.  There isn't that much difference there.  Only 3 short years difference.  9 years has flown by with him.  I couldn't imagine losing him in just three short years. 

The Peyton Heart Project is a project is connected to the Sidewalk Smiles Campaign. The Sidewalk Smiles Campaign was created by Julia Kubin in 2014 when she was 13. The Peyton Heart Project was created by Jill Kubin, Julia’s mom, in June 2015. It is an extension of the suicide prevention and bullying prevention projects Julia has been working on. The are looking to bring awareness to the issues of teen suicide and bullying. 

When I found this little heart that made my day, I never realized the impact that it would have on me.  

When I got back home I have started knitting up my own hearts to pass out. It gave me such joy to find it, I can't imagine what kind of impact this could have on someone who is on the brink of self harm.  Just to know that you are worth it.  You are beautiful.  The world is a better place with you in it.  People DO care.

If you head to the site The Peyton Hart Project, you can find all kinds of information.  Pages to print with the quotes, heart patterns, even an address you can write to to get free hearts to pass out.  All they ask for is postage in return.  

If you find a heart, make sure to post it to Instagram with the hashtag #PeytonHeartProject

I think in this day and age, we need more positivity out there...don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment